What does a school need to start a program?
Successful QTL™ for IT Educators programs thrive in a variety of environments and circumstances. The primary need is a willing, computer-savvy teacher who is not intimidated by technology. QTL™ trains that teacher to deliver the high tech content and support him or her through the year.
Other factors that contribute to a successful program include:
- Administrators willing to support the program
- A classroom lab with worktables for computers and, ideally Internet-connected machines
- Equipment to take apart, re-examine, and put computers back together (this may be new components, outdated school computers, donated equipment, or whatever else is available)
- Tools such as computer toolkits, safety wristbands, etc. needed for working on computer components
- Software needed for hands-on experience with operating systems
- Students interested in learning about technology
- Support from the community - from computer donations to field trips and class visits or other opportunities for students.